In the rhythm of our daily lives, the deadlines and the seemingly never ending to-do lists, it can be easy for stress to sneak in and claim centre stage. Yet, we hold the capacity to change this tune with simple, intentional steps towards a calmer, more centred self.
The mindful practices that we cultivate everyday can be the powerful tools we need to help us find balance and peace. Remember: there is no perfect, one-size-fits-all formula to managing work-life stress. It’s a continuous journey of self-discovery and learning, finding what works best for you, and committing to it for the long-term.
We cannot control everything. Instead, we can work towards a more mindful approach to our perception, our behaviour and our thoughts.
Here are our five favourite daily rituals to help you get started.
- Create a supportive morning routine: Those first few minutes after waking are the most precious and potent of the day to set the tone for the day ahead. Handing over our attention to the social media algorithms designed to hijack our minds means that we start our days in reaction-mode. Close the door on these distractions and carve out time for yourself – dedicate a few minutes for journalling, meditating or breath work. It’s a wonderful opportunity to listen to the 5-minute meditations in the JSHealth App – recognise how a few minutes of mindfulness can instantly shift your mind state.
- Cultivate gratitude and practise affirmations: Take a few moments to focus on what you’re thankful for – even the simple things such as the sun shining brightly outside, the smell of your morning coffee or the birds chirping in the distance. Reflect on your strengths and capabilities, what you have achieved and repeat back to yourself words of self-affirmation – say them out loud! Here's a JSHealth favourite: "I am capable, I am strong and I am enough". Gratitude helps you to build a positive foundation, setting strong intentions for the rest of your day.
- Commit to positive self-talk: Practise speaking kindly and positively towards yourself as you power through the tasks in your day. Self-compassion is just as important as self-discipline. Recognise that it’s ok if you don’t get every single task completed, and let go of the pressure to be perfect. Acknowledge your efforts and celebrate your successes, big or small – it’s these moments that fuel your motivation and keep you going.
- Find time for movement: Find the movement that you best enjoy and make it part of your daily routine. Whether it's going for a walk around the block or a short yoga session – make sure that you take the time each day to move your body. Exercise helps lower cortisol levels and releases endorphins which can help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, leaving you feeling relaxed and energised.
- Embrace the SFZ: The JSHealth Stress Free Zone (or SFZ!) is the space we give ourselves to be completely free from stress. Commit to 10-30 minutes to be away from your work environment, your phone, and the demands of life – do something that brings you joy. Listen to your favourite podcast, create a delicious healthy meal with friends or family, practise the guitar – whatever it is that helps you switch off and find peace.
Nurturing daily self-care rituals can help build resilience to stress and cultivate inner strength. By creating these mindful moments throughout our days we give ourselves permission to prioritise our mental health and wellbeing, so that we can show up fully every single time.