Mood swings, pain in various areas of the body, digestive disturbances, the feeling that you could burst into tears at almost anything, bloating, fatigue… the list goes on. Hello PMS, we’ve all been well acquainted with you before, but what exactly is it and what are some simple ways to support the symptoms? Let’s take a look.
What is it?
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) refers to changes in mood and emotions, physical health and behavior, which develop roughly two weeks before your period and last until a few days after bleeding begins.
Experts believe the cause of PMS is the cyclical changes in hormones and chemical changes in the brain during this time.
Painful: breasts, abdomen, back, joints, muscles, pelvis
Gastrointestinal: constipation, diarrhea, nausea, excessive gas, water retention
Appetite changes: excessive hunger, fatigue, loss of appetite
Mood: anxiety, depression, general discontent, irritability, lack of concentration, mood swings
Abdominal: cramping, feeling of fullness
Also common: acne, headaches, insomnia
- Eat balanced meals containing wholefoods and all the macronutrient groups (quality protein, fats and complex carbohydrates).
- Stay active - aim to move your body for 30 minutes or more each day for mood and wellbeing.
- Limit alcohol, caffeine, processed foods and excess sodium.
- Relax. Include daily stress relief and relaxation techniques, such as meditation, breathwork, journaling, taking a bath, or any other self-care practices that help you to unwind.
- Our Hormone + PMS Support formula contains Chaste Tree, traditionally used in Western herbal medicine to support those experiencing symptoms of premenstrual tension.
- Our Mood + Emotional Balance formula contains the sunny spice Saffron to support healthy emotional and mood balance, plus assist the symptoms of stress and mild anxiety.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.